Experiencing increased anxiety and concern as your child enters the upper primary level?
Primary education consists of the lower primary and upper primary levels. Overall, it serves to cover the English language, Mother Tongue, Mathematics and Science. In recent years, the EM1, EM2 and EM3 streaming for upper primary students had been removed replaced by subject-based banding. Schools are given the autonomy to decide how best to band their students by ability and value-added information.
Nonetheless, the Streaming Exercise still holds its worth, as the fundamental rationale behind the streaming exercise remains logical and sound. It aims to stream pupils according to their academic abilities so as to allow learning to take place according to the pupil’s different needs and pace. Therefore, although streaming practices in primary schools have been replaced by subject-based banding, upper primary students still face the pressure to perform academically better than their peers, so as to get into the “better” classes – which is often thought (by many parents) to consist of better-performing students, and thus, better-quality learning resources and teachers.
On top of the pressures faced from subject-based banding, frequent assessments, tests and examinations are also introduced to the upper primary children’s curriculum. It is therefore no doubt that parents and students become more fearful of the increasingly difficult and demanding curriculum. Today, students are not only required to digest textbook content, but are often required to provide examples and elaborations that are beyond the textbook coverage. On top of that, tests and examinations questions have become more demanding in nature, requiring students to use higher-order thinking. Nonetheless, tests and examinations are administered all too frequently within each academic year.
How Can Upper Primary Students Benefit From Home Tuition?
As a result, students are required to stay back almost every weekday for extra lessons, which are still somehow inadequate in helping students to cope with the academic demands at the upper primary level. Almost all upper primary students are exposed to private tuition in order to help them cope better at schools. It is undeniable that home tuition is largely beneficial as the child undergoes his/her upper primary education and here are the following benefits:
- Home tuition serves to cover more content and practices with the students, as such exposing them to more varied forms of content and practice questions. With such additional practices, students can often cope better at schools’ tests and examinations.
- As a personalized service, home tuition gives the child a platform to express questions and doubts that can receive quality answers from the tutors.
- Home tutors also cater their teachings to target their students’ weaknesses. For instance, tutors often select assessment books and teaching materials (e.g. past-year exam papers) accordingly to the students’ learning competency and recent school performance.
- Home tutors can rectify students’ mistakes instantly and provide them with more elaborative illustrations and work examples.
- Home tutors can also provide feedback more readily to parents as compared to school teachers. Parents can therefore better understand and monitor their child’s progress.
Therefore, parents are largely encouraged to introduce home tuition to their child’s curriculum as early as possible, especially when they face greater challenges at the upper primary levels.
For tuition with the upper primary levels, tutors usually go through questions from school homework assignments and tuition assessments. Students are largely encouraged to do as many practice questions as possible, so as to increase their confidence and competency in tackling tests/examinations questions.
|Upper Primary Home Tuition (P4-P6)|
|* We recommend at least 1.5 hours per subject weekly. If you would like 3 subjects, you can arrange it to be twice a week at 1.5 hours per lesson.|
Diploma/A Level Tutor/Undergraduate Tutor:
Graduated Tutor/Full Time Tutor:
Ex/Current School Teacher:
|*Tuition rate may vary according to the tutor’s experience.|
|You can choose your preferred day, timing and location|